DINING OPTIONS(1) comment
There are good places to dine year-round within 10-15 minutes of Alta Crystal Resort, either at Crystal Mountain or in the small town of Greenwater. In the summer, make sure to plan to join one of our on-site barbecues. We plan these on Thursdays and Sundays during July and August, and other special dates in the spring and fall (like Memorial Day weekend and Father’s Day weekend).
We also offer in-room gourmet “Heat and Eat” meals that guests rave about. These meals are prepared for us by The Kitchen Door, a small gourmet caterer that uses herbs, spices and marinades (instead of lots of butter and fat). Click here for more information.
Many guests also love the fact that all of our accommodations have small, fullly equipped kitchens, so you can prepare something easy after your long day outside, instead of having to go out. We even have a grocery on site, and guests are amazed at how many types of things we carry. (We carry small amounts of lots and lots of different items.)
Our onsite barbecues are fabulous, and guests always tell us how amazed they are at the choices offered and how fresh everything is. Wild Alaska salmon burgers, hamburgers, bratwurst, hot dogs and veggie burgers, plus lots of fresh salads, fruit and side dishes—with Mudslide Brownies, watermelon and s’mores for dessert. The cost is a very nominal $14.50 per adult and $7.50 per child (4-10) and $4.50 per child under 4 with their own plate (plus tax). We even bring out complimentary beer, wine & sodas. Where else can you get a meal (including drinks) for so little?!
Here is a list of area restaurants:
AT CRYSTAL MOUNTAIN:
Crystal Mountain is open weekends through through June 21, and daily from June 28-September 21, 2014.
- Alpine Inn Restaurant: Open for lunch and dinner every day. Gourmet dining in a casual setting, with an extensive selection of fine wines, cocktails and microbrews.
- Snorting Elk Cellar: Open for drinks and dinner every day starting 12 noon. This is proof that casual food can be excellent. A wonderful selection of salads, sandwiches and soups, plus local specials’ nights.
- Summit House: Open for lunch every day with extended hours Friday & Saturday. Dine at Washington’s highest restaurant (6872’) with incredible views of Mt. Rainier! In fact, on a clear day, you can see all the way to Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Baker. Learn more.
- The Market: Grab something to go, and lounge at Crystal’s picnic tables, or have lunch on the trail
- Naches Tavern: Open every day for lunch and dinner. This historic tavern is featured in Northwest Places and has a laid-back, Greenwater locals’ charm. Families are now welcome, and the menu features really wonderful milk shakes, along with hamburgers, hot dogs, salads, etc. They also have special events such as Prime Rib Fridays.
- Greenwater Outfitters Deli: Open every day for breakfast and lunch, with extended hours on weekends. We love their fresh sandwiches and wraps, plus they have a killer salmon caesar. They also have breakfast burritos, biscuits with gravy and more. While you’re there, check out their great selection of Sasquatch t-shirts.
- Wapiti Woolies: Although technically not a restaurant, we love stopping at Wapiti Woolies for espresso and ice cream. They also have great muffins and breakfast sandwiches. And of course, wonderful apparel and gifts.
ACROSS CHINOOK PASS:
- Whistlin’ Jack’s: This is a fun destination if you’re in the mood to explore the Eastern side of the Cascades or Boulder Cave. We also love to go to Whistlin’ Jack’s on a full moon night, have dinner, and then drive back across Chinook Pass when it’s dark. Mt. Rainier is illuminated by the moon in all its glory. Awesome! Whistlin’ Jack’s is situated on a small slice of private land on the banks of the American River, about 45 minutes from Alta Crystal. Delicious food. We especially like their trout and huckleberry chicken, but they’re known for their steaks (using Yakima beef) as well.
Enumclaw is a short 1/2-hour drive from Alta Crystal Resort and has a lot of restaurants for its population size. We especially love Jackson’s, the Rainier Bar & Grill, Kelly’s Mercantile and Rendezvous Wine & Brew. Enumclaw also has several really good Mexican restaurants given its large Hispanic population (we especially love El Ranchito, which is so popular that there are actually 2 in Enumclaw!). For authentic German and Polish food, try Europa (which also has Sunday morning crepes).